Sunday, July 25, 2010

Finding the Beauty of Korean & K-Pop

So, when I was a kid, my parents used to tell me that Korean was the most scientific language in the world. I never really understood why, and I still don't quite get it - but I just believe it to be true, because they said so. But, also when I was a kid, my sister used to tell me that Korean was the most beautiful language in the world as well. I never really understood that either when I was little, but now I think I get it.

This summer, I feel like I have been more exposed to Korean language more than ever before - just from dealing with my family, but also attending the only Korean Catholic Church in Toronto as well, since my parents started attending there. I just have been exposed to it a lot this summer, but finding the true beauty of the language came from my exposure to K-Pop. You see, my sister [and my parents] love it, and as I spent more time around at home, I just got to listen to it more and more. Then, as I started to get what the lyrics were saying, it just hit me - 'wow, this language is beautiful'.

The thing is, a lot of these K-Pop songs that my sister listens to are supposedly romantic songs that hit Top 40 in Korea (or something equivalent). To get the attractions of the fans, it is obvious that these songs were composed of words and phrases that are as romantic as possible. So, after hearing a few songs, I got to understand what they were saying, and what they were supposed to express. It was the most beautiful thing ever. It seems like there are 100 different ways to express one single feeling, thus creating various impacts on the ones who listen to them.
Sure, for instance, in English language, there could be many ways you can describe the feeling of love. You could use different metaphors and similes and what not. However, you couldn't possibly come up with more different ways than you could do with Korean.

Another interesting thing is, you could try to translate the language into English - word-by-word - but it just would not hold the same impact. Perhaps that's what makes the language itself to be so beautiful and romantic. I just fell in love with some of these lyrics, and how sometimes I could emotionally relate to them. See, when I was a kid, I used to be embarrassed that I knew Korean, because I felt like it made me different from all the other kids. As I grew up, I realized it's something to cherish and I also realized it gave me some advantage - since knowing a second language always helps. But now, I'm actually really glad that I can understand this language and even speak this language to an extent - mind you I got WHOLE lot better at in over the summer as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter

Followers